Wednesday 9 May 2012

Koninginnedag weekend in Groningen


So we left off with my arrival in Groningen. Parties ensued. Many, many parties. Non-stop parties. My current perception of dutch boys is not a positive one. I swear, every time we went out I was either inappropriately touched or spoken to WHILE WITH MY BOYFRIEND! What is this? Who are these boys, and why is this the norm? At one point at a club, some idiots were throwing coasters at my butt. Then, when I'd tell them to stop, they would act all hurt and be like, "What! What!". I have never been so compelled to smack people as I was that evening. There is a reason all these guys are dancing with their friends and not some ladies and/or gentlemen that they fancy. Seriously, dudes! Get it together!

Next day we did some market cruising and I went to a lecture! On brain stuff! I enjoyed it a lot! It was in english but the professor was dutch so he had a really adorable way of slipping in subtle jokes. It's unfortunate there were a couple morons who thought the lecture was actually a place for them to showcase how much they love themselves. The poor professor was so patient, but there was a point that it looked like he was dealing with preschoolers and he looked so shocked. I was kind of ashamed to be in the same room as these silly boys. Oh well! On to the market!



This is a grocery store, by the way. It's an Albert Heijn, which I learned much about here

There is a market in the main area of the city centre with all sorts of good stuff going on. There was a guy selling Frites (Belgian frites, specifically) with sauces (Ketchup, mayo, etc.) which I indulged in. Of course there are no photos! The mayo was weird though. It was almost... too creamy. Like, it was almost too ... wet. I don't know. It made me feel sick. I am now put off mayo.

At the local Jumbo (giant store like Carrefour in Paris) there is this little bubble that's like a 'take a penny, leave a penny' for plastic bags! At this point, few people have left anything. But the concept is great! Canada should get on that. Free re-usable bags? Novelty!

The one night we didn't go out a large group at the dorm had a sushi making evening. It was seriously hours of sushi making cause no one was on the same schedule but everyone wanted to eat together. So funny! So hungry. I think together we probably made my weight in sushi. Bradon and I shared our little personal plate that was shellfish free but... oh man some creations. Sushi party!

Eventually is was actually the weekend and Saturday was the big party day. First thing in the morning the pre-party began and then late afternoon/early evening we headed into the centre to check stuff out. There were several stages set up with dj's and bands... nothing was exceptional 'cause the sound wasn't great in the squares. There were so many people you couldn't really dance, and the energy was a little lacking in festival spirit and a little more lethargic -- probably because it wasn't really Queen's day until the next day.

This is the crew we started off with! We met up for pizza before splitting up for our separate adventures.

Madness! So many people! There were supposed to be streets saying which way to walk but no one followed them so it took hours to get from one side to the next. The stages were pretty epic -- lots of lights and excitement. There was one band that was kind of ska-techno with live trumpet and vocals that was kind of sweet. But then it got repetitive!


Special effects woo!

Bradon and I tried to wait at this one stage to watch a Coldplay cover band called 'Goldplay' but they took SO long to set up we eventually gave up and started walking home. Basically an hour of waiting listening to top 40... for a cover band! Not cool! So we spent the next hour or so battling the crowds to get out of the centre and home to, once again, get ready for the next party. Around 2 am we make it to the Paradigm rave that we were lucky to get tickets for. Unfortunately, I wasn't feeling so hot (pizza? red bull?) and the energy at the place was a little lackluster so we only stayed a little while. Then we went home and watched a couple hours of How I Met Your Mother. 

Next day! More party! We do the necessary grocery shopping, stock up on taco supplies for later and head back into the city centre. It is a BEAUTIFUL day for Queen's Day. The city's energy is way more festive and everyone seems in good spirits. We spent a little time at the stage area and then wander around the city checking out the more residential areas. We sat by the canal at one point to chill out and it was so beautiful! Then we went home and ate like monsters -- best semi-mexican meal of my life! We ate an entire taco dinner kit for like six people. I don't think I ate much the next day.




The next day was the day I tried to go home to Paris. I think. It's all quite a blur. I basically took the three hour train ride to Schiphol airport in Amsterdam, stood in line forEVER to find out, not only were there NO seats to head back tonight at all, but to buy a seat reservation for tomorrow would cost around 60 euro. BAH! They keep getting pricier I tell you. I cried a little bit at the counter, to which the poor ticket lady apologized profusely (as if it was her fault!). She got me my ticket for tomorrow and I went and hopped back on the same train heading BACK to Groningen for the same three hour train ride, this time lacking in any free WiFi. Sad face. Luckily I had Bradon to stay with, otherwise it might have qualified as a true disaster. So Bradon and I stayed up till four in the morning watching How I Met Your Mother, again, and then he set me off to Amsterdam once again with a, "See you in 52 hours!", because he was coming to Paris that weekend. 

That train ride was disaster-less! A Miracle! I did sit across from a shellfish-eating leg-room hogger but he got off in Belgium so I had a couple of hours where I wasn't thoroughly annoyed. Also, it weirds me out that drinking beer on trains is ok. Like, intercity trains. I just associate beer cans on public transit with people who will talk to me in a creepy manner, so I don't like seeing it EVERYWHERE. I will have to reform my perception of that, then, I guess. 

So, I got home around 10 pm ish and skyped my brother while trying to eat the appalling 'soup' I tried to create out of the remainder of my fridge contents. Ketchup is never something that should be added to soup, I have concluded. The next couple days I only left the apartment to gather rent money and groceries. I paid my final rent (ah!) and then washed an absurd amount of laundry. One day, I will brave the laundromat I swear. One day, within May, I will have to. Because I have to return all towels and linens to my landlord, clean.

Then the Bradon weekend! Best weekend ever! Details to come. Lots of food was involved, and a couple bucket list items. It was a much nicer visit than the last turbo-tourist visit. But! More on that next entry! Must get out of the house this beautiful day!

Bisous!


No comments:

Post a Comment